For most schools, finals are long gone. Even here at BYU, quite a few people have already powered through their finals and are on their way home. But no matter if you have finals or not, if college is way behind you or way in the future, the stress of taking multiple really important tests in one week along with a dating life, work, and family, is pretty crazy. Here’s what I’ve learned.
1. Having a missionary come home means you suddenly don’t really care about anything else. Randy got home and WHAM all I wanted to do was spend time with him and talk to him since we didn’t have a two-week delay anymore. Boy, did that throw my motivation for school for a loop!
2. Professors aren’t always as mean as people say. A lot of my professors actually understand that I have 14 other credits that I’m trying to get through, and wanted to help lighten the load. This isn’t always the case, but I loved that unexpected little delight.
3. Being an adult means biting your tongue. There were lots of things I wanted to say, times I really wanted to give people a load of my mind. But that’s what kids do. So as an adult you decide that being right isn’t as important as the relationship, and move on.
4. Never underestimate the power of hot chocolate. For real. I can’t count how many cups of hot cocoa I’ve guzzled in the past month, but it seems to have this magical ability to make everything better.
5. Good friends and family will make all the difference. Whether it’s keeping a good surprise from you, sitting up at 2 AM to chat, having a dance party, quizzing you before a test, or watching your favorite Christmas movie with you, my friends have gotten me through lots of hard times.
6. Pep-talks are essential. Mine usually start “Maddy, I’m sick and tired of everybody talking about the Soviets!” (name that movie!)
7. Candles. Holiday Wishes is currently burning in my apartment, and can I just say that I’m obsessed. It was pumpkin spice for all of October and November, now Christmas Tree and Sugar Plums and Gingerbread and deliciousness this month. Invest. I’m telling you, you’ll be happy you did.
8. Christmas shopping is 1000000 times more fun with a boyfriend. But really. Especially when he has no clothes and you get to help pick them out.
9. Set aside time to do a lot of studying. If you say, oh I’ll study tonight, it won’t happen. Set times. That’s the only way it will work!
10. Never forget what’s the most important. Take time for the things that really matter, like Church and family. Prioritize and things will work out.
Happy Wednesday everyone!